October  17-21st

We had another wonderful week of learning, exploring, creating and connecting!

Here is a glimpse at our week:

I can say the number sequence 0-100 and count and organize counting collections either by 1's, 2's, 5's and 10's. I can represent this collection with a numeral, set, 10 frame and determine whether the number is even or odd.

This week we spent time exploring counting collections. This is a structured opportunity for students to count a collection of objects, determine how to organize the collection and identify how they count. These activities allow students to build on counting skills such as one to one correspondence, cardinality, skip counting and grouping. 




I can explain my reasoning for my choices. I can tell an oral story. I can identify my emotions and strategies to help me heal. I can learn what a list is and work with a group to create a list of describing words based on my senses. 

A few weeks back we read the book, Trudy's Healing Stone by Trudy Spiller. This story explains that everyone experiences difficult emotions and that they are a natural part of life. The author shares with us a special practice that anyone can use to help them process their emotions with the help of Mother Earth. To further this experience, students then had the opportunity to choose a rock from the Bow River (Ms Rowland and her dog Sandy collected and brought in). Students were to make a choice and then come up with reasons for why they chose that rock and give it a name. Our next step was to think about "the story of our rock" - where did it begin, what happened to your rock, what adventures has it been on. Students created and refined these stories within a small group and then we shared small parts of these stories in our sharing circle. 
Our next adventure with our rocks was to create a list of describing words that centered on our sense of sight, touch, smell and hearing. We then brought in our  grade 5/6 buddies to listen to the stories of our rocks and assist us in writing a personal list of words to describe our rocks. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog