Welcome to Grade 1 & 2, Room 9 with Ms Rowland. I am so glad you are here and part of our learning Community!

Hopefully this first week of school was a smooth transition for students and parents.  I certainly enjoyed meeting all of the new students and catching up with those who were previously together with me in a learning community.  I am very excited to be on this journey with all of you. 

Here are a few photos of our classroom before the students arrived:


Just a reminder that I would like students to say goodbye to me after they see their "grown-up or person" and before they leave for the day.  This way I can catch you with any messages I might have and it helps me feel better knowing they have connected with you.  

I Can Understand Everyone is Unique, Including Me / I Can Understand the Groups and Communities I Belong To

This week we have begun building our sense of identity and belonging within our classroom community and within our grade group cohort.  We used the story, "Our Class is a Family" by Shannon Olsen, as a stepping off point to discuss how we want to feel and be treated within our "school family" and established some expectations to guide our learning and play as well as some promises to ourselves, and others. In creating these expectations and promises students were able to play an integral part in the development of their sense of belonging.  Additionally, students have created first day self-portraits to hang on our family picture wall to help them view themselves as important members and stakeholders in our classroom family/community. 

Another very important aspect of building our sense of identity and belonging includes our connection to our land. As a class, we spent time exploring, discovering, playing and connecting to our outside spaces. Students were excited to share and discover from their peers as well as the land. We touched on many different topics that we will be immersed in this year from indigenous ways of knowing, seeing and doing, seasons, plants and animals and living things, community members, colors, shapes and numbers.






Comments

  1. Thank you for posting pictures of the classroom - always nice to see where they spend their day :)
    Courtney (Melody's mom)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog